2013 - THE YEAR OF CROSS-GENERATIONAL CONVERSATION
I’m declaring it, and I mean to see it spread as plans for our “big idea” unfold.
Why do we urgently need cross-generational conversation now in the world at work, in these times? 7 reasons.
* Knowledge transfer is vital. We have more information to capture than ever, so there is more at stake to lose.
* Businesses need to avoid losing clients and customers of other generations and obtain new ones
* We need to transform information to knowledge to wisdom. That requires sharing perspectives and mutual mentoring.
* We are connected to each other facing common problems that we can only solve for the long-term through multigenerational collaboration.
* Over-emphasis on electronic communication means we are losing the personal touch and the full communication of non-verbal cues.
* Looming inter-generational wealth transfers are challenged by family member emotional blocks and lack of effective communication
* Young people are hungry for it. They want to know what older people know. That’s the feedback I get as I talk with and mentor students and young workers in my work.
This year and going forward build awareness and re-think the importance of cross-generational conversation at work.
As Gandhi urged us: “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
Wishing you all a healthy, joyful, fulfilling and successful new year and fun celebrations!
To learn more and get started, contact me.